Dyno Deuce Electric – BBSHD

Our latest project is the Dyno Deuce – BBSHD Mid-Drive custom built electric bike.

$3,999

  • BBSHD Mid-Drive motor with color dashboard and more
  • 52V – 13Ah lithium battery pack inside custom battery enclosure
  • GT Dyno Deuce frame (frame circa 2000)
  • Marzocchi JrT triple crown forks (forks circa 2000)
  • Custom eccentric bottom bracket adapters
  • Eclipse 48T chainring
  • Sturmey-Archer RXL-RD5 heavy duty 5-Speed Drum Brake Hub
  • 24″ Sun-Ringle Envy rims (13g spokes) and Cyclops Pro 24″x2.4″ tires
  • Front hydraulic

Before the anodize…

  • BBSHD Mid-Drive motor kit with color dashboard and more
  • 52V 13Ah lithium battery pack to be hidden by custom aluminum side plates
  • GT Dyno Deuce frame with Marzocchi JrT triple crown forks (frame circa 2000)
  • Custom eccentric bottom bracket adapters
  • Eclipse 48T chainring
  • Sturmey-Archer RXL-RD5 5-Speed Drum Brake Hub
  • 24″ Sun-Ringle Envy rims (13g spokes) and Cyclops Pro tires
  • Front hydraulic disc (180mm) brake with 90mm drum rear brake
  • Clip-on handlebars 

~~~

The image is a bit grainy because it’s a mockup of 3 different layers and a tracing paper overlay. The bike is a GT DYNO Deuce.

Check out the cool lines of the seat and chain stays – so lovely – elegant even.

I now have most of the kit of parts for this bad-boy. BBSHD and 52v Dolphin GA 13.5 ah battery pack.

The new eBike project the GT eDYNO eDeuce. The bike is the quintessential SoCal cruiser – designed in Santa Ana in the late 1990’s.
This version sports custom triple crown Jr-T forks. I will add disc brakes, clip-on’s, lights and horn, and that fabulous BBSHD electric motor kit and 52v 13.5ah lithium battery. More traditional seat with a black seat post, or a cafe racer seat.
The handcrafted battery side covers, the “bodywork”, will be black anodized 6061-T6 aluminum.
The pics below show the eccentric bottom bracket adapters I made because the BBSHD will not fit properly in the bottom bracket shell without moving the center line of the bottom bracket towards the edge of the shell. Some builders have carved away at the motor unit to get the needed clearance – but I did not want to do that and thus the eccentric adapters.
I was originally going to mount the battery behind the seat post but the battery is too long and did not fit.  The new plan is to mount it in front of the seat post. I have a template made up and will transfer the pattern to the 6061 side plates.
The photos below are the current state of the build – September 14, 2017. The battery is mounted on a plate which is attached to the seat tube by aluminum clamps. All the brakes are mounted and working. I had to switch the hydraulic brake lever assembly from one that mounted the front brake on the left over to one that mounted the front disc brake lever to the right. Got a bleeding kit and moved the levers each to the other side. Now I have an extra rear hydraulic setup because I chose the Sturmey Archer RXL-RD5 IGH with 90mm drum brake. I chose this because the drum brake setup is a bolt onto the frame without any frame mods or special adapters.
I laced the RXL-RD5 into a 24″ disc brake rim using 13G stainless steel spokes – 2 cross – with chrome plated brass nipples. Oh, I took the Luna Eclipse chainring off the eCortina and the chain line is spot on. Now I have to decide to buy either the 42 or 48 tooth chainring…not sure yet.
Next project is to make the side plates that will hide the battery. See the sketch above for something like what I am going to do. And route the harness and cables to hide or integrate them as much as possible.
The photos below are of a pattern for the side plates that will cover the battery and wiring. The battery mounting plate and seat tube clamps are shown below. The battery mounting plate will support the side plates with 3/4 inch 6061 angle.
Note, the 180mm brake rotor and the hydraulic calipers are mounted on the forks.
Battery mounting plate clamped to the seat tube. Stainless steel button head screws. Below is the BBSHD motor unit with the LunaCycle 42 narrow/wide offset chainring to get a good chain line.
The eccentric bottom bracket adapter that I made to allow the BBSHD motor unit to fit properly into the frame.
The eccentric bottom bracket adapters hot off the lathe and mill.